Friday, July 19, 2013

Evan's Raccoonee 6th Birthday Partee!

Evan loooooooves raccoons.  I guess it was his destiny.  For his 6th birthday, he wanted a raccoon party, so I suggested we do Davy Crockett because it gave us more material to work with (and the kids loooove Davy Crockett. I love him, too...as long as I don't think about what it would have been like to be married to him as he ran around killin' bars and politickin' and goin' down in a blaze of glory at the Alamo just cuz).  I also like to do birthday parties that aren't typical birthday party themes because it lowers the expectation level for how professional my decorations look and keeps me from spending too much money.  Have I mentioned my love of cardboard, thrift stores and clearance items?  (and free stuff on the side of the road or in the trash--clean trash, mind you, only clean trash).

But this is not about me, it's about Evan's 6th Birthday Raccoonee/Davy Crockett Birthday Party!
We used this picture for the invitations.

The cake was The Alamo.  With a colorful "6" on top of course.  The front of the alamo started to melt in the sun...oops!

Decorations?  Evan's favorite rascally stuffed animals, of course.  And fringe, lots of fringe.

We started with Raccoon/Owl craft puppet things that I found at Michaels.  


We read a Davy Crockett book and sang the song.  It was very educational.  The children stared at us with blank expressions on their faces. 

Oh well, Evan and I loved it, and I doubt there will be a birthday ever again in our family where one of the boys sits on my lap and sings a song with me.  As nostalgic as that makes me feel, it is also totally appropriately true.

So let's savor the moment, shall we?

Okay, moving on.  We hunted for little plastic woodland creatures that my sister and I hid in the park before the kids came.  Then we played "Raccoon Tail Tag," a random silly simple game we made up together where the children were raccoons and someone was it and Jeremy yelled "Nighttime!" and the raccoons would run around trying not to get their tails pulled off and then "Daytime!" and the raccoons went to sleep (see, because they are nocturnal.  Don't you want to come to one of our birthday parties and get your kids edumacated?)

That's basically all it was, running and laying down and pulling the tails off of the littlest and slowest raccoons first, just like in the nature documentaries.

Evan and Stephen, the two buddies from this last year, along with cool kid Cole (we love Cole, my boys just fight over him like he is a movie star).

Typically Evan.
Reminds me of his first birthday and how particular he was about his cupcake...it stressed him out so he ate a chip instead.

My dad made wooden slingshots for the kids so we had slingshot/marshmallow battles.

Well, actually the boys and a few of the dads had slingshot/marshmallow battles...

...the girls stood in line patiently and waited to shoot Diet Coke cans.


Do you like the awesome cardboard Alamo I made in the background.  Found that baby in the trash and in 5 minutes, viola! The Alamo!

The boys raced cucumber boats down the creek with their shirts off (not sure why...oh wait, because they are boys).


The girls named their puppets and properly introduced them to one another...

And had a sweet and well-mannered puppet show all on their own.
My friend wrote about Evan's birthday party on her blog and included some more fun pictures if you want to check them out!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.