Monday, August 29, 2011

Samuel, the Soccer Player

Sam played soccer for the first time (officially) this summer and loved it. I loved it. I think Evan, Annie and Jeremy liked it, too. I loved watching Sam excited to put on his uniform and listen to his coach and interact with the other kids on his team, the Tigers. Since he can read now, I am going to write this post in a little "mom-code". See if you can get my drift.

Sam's cheering section, ready to go. As long as I packed enough sweets to keep them in a good mood.
Sam missed the first practice when they handed out uniforms so he had to wear a size huge. But, to his mother's delight, we turned it over and saw that it was my old soccer number, 13. (Oh! Now I know why it was the only one left. Silly superstitions.) He looked cute!
Sam always seemed aware of (distracted by) my use of the camera, so I tried to just stick to action shots.

So here are some action shots:

The huddle before the game with their sweet coach, Amy, who I found out was 4 months pregnant but she ran around out there with them and was awesome.

Samuel got to play goalie a few times...nerve-racking for his over-zealous spectating mother. Not so much worried about a kick to the face as I was the blame for an opposing team goal.
Sam handled it well...in fact, many aspects of the game didn't seem to phase him (like whether the other team was coming straight at him with the ball or whether it was time for kick-off...you know, stuff like that). Here he is, demonstrating his ability to make up imaginary games and talk to imaginary people while alone in the goal box:
Did I mention that he was GREAT at interacting with the other members of his team?

Remember, these are action shots.


This kid, Antonio, was actually a pretty good little soccer player...

...when he wasn't distracted by the social scene midfield.

Here's Annie, ready to take care of twins:

Here are some real action shots...Sam really liked doing throw-ins.

(And then standing back with great pleasure and smiling as his team followed through with his throw)

I have heard this level of soccer-playing affectionately called "Cluster Ball"


Sam was also really good at pretending to be really competitive and intense, but it usually only lasted for a few seconds until he was back to smiling and talking and fist-bumping.
He's also really good at rallying the team and preparing them for battle.
But what makes us the most proud of him is how much he loves other people. Here he is with his good friend, Daniel, who was on the opposing team.
Watching him "play" soccer reminded me of when I was pregnant with him and we were living in Kazakhstan. Someone asked me what I dreamt or hoped my child would be like. I remember strolling through the bazaar and answering, "You know, I don't care if he or she is the smartest or most athletic, I just want my child to love other people."
(and be cute)
So now soccer season is over and I can check one more thing off of my list of Things That Good Mothers Sign Their Kids Up For. Now I guess it's time for swim lessons.

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.