Monday, February 22, 2010

Things People Said

I haven't written on my blog for a couple weeks because of something someone said. It wasn't said negatively or in a mean way, but the words hung around in my head. We were headed to the park in Sedona as a family outing, and as I packed my camera, Someone (okay, it was Jeremy) said (innocently), "Are you going to write about it on your blog?" And then the insecurities started.

I had all these thoughts like, "Am I trying to be like Julie from Julie and Julia? Or the Pioneer Woman?" to which the answer is "no", but I suddenly felt like my blog was silly. But then some of you said how much you like reading it, and I thought about how much I like writing it. So I decided to continue, though I re-promised myself that I wouldn't write about every little thing that I think of (for those of you who know me well, that's a lot of things).

Here are some other things people have said lately:

--People at MOPS said we should go to this cool park (Sunset Park) in Sedona to get out of the snow, so we went!

The boys' favorite part was not the park (though they loved it), it was when we took a walk down a wash. Evan said, "We're 'splorin' mama. We're wock-kwimin', mama." I was reminded of how long boys can be entertained by throwing rocks into a puddle.


--Sam said he wanted to dress himself. Notice the purple socks as well as the two collared shirts and exercise pants.


He also said he wanted to dress Annie, so I let him pick her outfit. He called her "The Grass Girl."


--Family Circle magazine said I could wash my plastic shower curtain in the washing machine. Do you think they would give me money towards a new shower curtain?


--Someone Else in my house (under the age of 6) said something about me that compared me to one of these:
Which made me ponder whether I am nursing Annie too much around my boys. Someone at church defended the nursing by saying, "Well, it's BIBLICAL!". Enough about that. Probably too much.


--Evan said, "I don't like Annie." I said, "Evan, say something good about her." (scowl) "Like, isn't she cute?" No answer, more scowling. "Evan, think about good things. She always laughs at you. She thinks you're funny." Furrowed brow, long pause. "I don't think I want to be funny anymore."


--Sam has been into computer games lately. He found a page on the Disney site where you can make coloring pictures. The characters even have captions where you can fill in what you want the characters to say. Here is what Sam's characters said:


--Evan says "wery wery" all the time. Like, "I wery wery sad" or "I wery wery don't like it." He reminds me of someone we met in Kazakhstan who we nicknamed "Sergei, The Overbearing Teenager." He was a teenager and very overbearing. One day at the Technopark, he made fun of my Russian-speaking abilities. He said, "When Americans speak Russian, they make many mistakes. When Russians speak English, they speak wery wery tidy." Then he started yelling (at me), "Girl! Girl! Stop laughing at me!"


--Many people have said lately that Annie looks just like Evan. I think she looks more like Sam. What do I know? I'm just her mother.



--Sam just came and showed me this:He said, "Can I take a picture of this and put it on your blog?" Which reminds me of another promise I made: to keep my blog as a record of some of the things that happen in my life, not to create things in my life so that I have something to put on my blog. Thanks for reminding me, Sam.
Yo, peace out!

Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

  1. loved it! i hope you keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love reading your blog too...bryan teases me about mine all the time...i just chalk it up to him not needing to express himself in the same way...but i hope you dont stop...being so far away from you it helps me to stay connected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have checked once or twice a day for a week to see if you put a new blog up and read this immediately when I saw it. Keep them coming and never quit - well at least til Annie is out of college :). You make me laugh, and cry and smile and have deep thought to ponder and plan and imagine being there. The time and distance disappear and I am there in the midst of your precious family. I Love you and your blogs. Gamma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog too - I've spent years catching up on you through my mom, or flipping through your mom's camera when she came to visit. It's great to see your kids and how they've grown, and what an awesome mother you are. I think can learn alot from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks alittle like both of them but more like Sam! That is my thought.
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.