Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July

July has been...full. In June, I felt like nothing was happening yet the summer was racing by, and I look back at July and see how much has been going on and feel satisfied (even though we still haven't been camping, despite numerous attempts).I think living where there are cold winters and windy spring and fall makes summer feel so short, but definitely sweet. Here's a photo tour of July's happenings (except Annie's birthday, which deserves it's own post).

Sam went to VBS at church. Evan didn't get to go but got ice cream or some other treat every night because I felt bad about him being left behind.


Jeremy's aunts and uncles from Oregon and New York came to visit on short notice...we had a great lunch and they forever endeared themselves to the kids by giving them each a few dollars before they left. Something about an old Scottish tradition (which was explained to the boys but immediately forgotten in light of the excitement about being able to buy new BAKUGANS!!! (which I guess are "evil" but I didn't know it and am going to remain ignorant so that my boys can have cool little toys to play with)).

Jeremy's been having youth group at "The Tree Park" (which is really named Mountain View Park but everyone knows it as "The Tree Park" which is funny because as far as I know, ALL the parks in town have trees). The kids play ultimate frisbee, and if we come, Sam and Evan run around trying to get a piece of the action. Evan only knows one boy's name (Joey), so he runs around yelling "Joey! Throw it to me, Joey!" the whole time. Sorry, Joey.

Annie has been practicing standing and walking a few steps, which is a relief to me because I pretty much never let her outside because I don't want her eating grass, rocks, cat poop, etc. or getting her cute clothes dirty. Sorry, Annie.


Jeremy had knee surgery on an injury he got 7 years ago. He ended up having more damage than they originally thought and the doctor fractured his femur on purpose to get it to grow some scar tissue to help cushion his knee. The bad news was that he was told he has to keep it locked straight while walking, but the good news is that he's getting more use out of his (gulp) $1300 knee brace. (What the what?!)

We went to Tucson for 4th of July (and for Jeremy to have a change of scenery, moving from our couch to his parent's couch). The boys had a couple bouts of throwing up, ("That's odd, oh well," we thought) but managed to be happy and healthy on the actual 4th. We tried to go to a free patriotic concert but it was too crowded, so we went to the dinosaur McDonald's instead. The boys were disappointed (tears shot out of Samuel's eyes like a cartoon character) but we comforted them by promising fireworks at night (fireworks were banned in Flagstaff this year because of the fires).



Here we are waiting expectantly for the fireworks:

Here is Annie, not knowing what she was missing:

Here is Evan's surprise at pulling the string on a "popper" fire cracker:

Here's us thinking that the fireworks were lame and now we were blocked in by all the people parked behind us:

And here we are, being thankful that Gamma persevered and we waited...big fireworks!

The next day, Jeremy woke up SICK (puking and barfing and...other stuff), so we stayed an extra day. Evan puked in the night, so Gamma and I took care of that, and then of course, the next day when everyone else felt better to travel, I was the one who was sick. Because I wanted to get home (and because I'm the mom--'nuff said), I packed us up and headed out. I felt pukey and sleepy, sleepy finally won out and I drank a coffee and then guess what I left on the side of the road an hour later? Yeah, gross. And people were honking at me while I was doing it--nice. Jeremy couldn't drive, so I had to wipe my mouth and continue. Okay, enough of the TMI. The day was capped off with a trip to the pediatrician for Annie. Somehow we all survived.

July has been marked with me feeling nostalgic about the soon-coming end to morning views like this:


We went out for Jeremy's birthday. I wore a tank top for the first time in 20 years, I think (per Jeremy's request). Sam took the picture of us, and though he cut off Jeremy's head, he did include a view of the recycle trash can and the house we affectionately call "The Duct Tape House" across the street.

July has brought monsoons which cause crazy "white-ning and funder" which in turn causes Evan to pass out from fear (I said, "Here, hide under the cushions" and he was asleep in seconds).

Monsoons also cause double rainbows and flowers to grow like they're on steroids.


In July, I spent time with next year's MOPS leaders:

and enjoyed some outings, including Beaver Creek:


I planned a baby shower for a friend who then proceeded to have her baby the night before the shower, so we brought the shower to her:

and then still used the excuse to have a girls' night, because they don't come around that often!

I've gotten tired of cleaning Annie's high chair after every meal and I think I've come up with a new technique--I've named it "Floor Feeding" and am now trying to think of things to serve her at every meal that can just be put in her little snack holder.

July ended with more birthdays...here's the boys with tiger facepaint they got at their friend Zoe's birthday.

Happy end of July!

2 comments:

  1. Floor feeding! Ha. Love it! And what darling pajamas. Did Annie turn 1 already! Wow. I know she was a week or two before Jamie. I can't believe how fast the time went. Love the update. Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly was an eventful month. Glad we got to be a part of it - despite the tummy bug. Glad everyone got over it pretty fast. Thanks for my most favorite blog in the whole wide world :)xoxoxo xoxo Gamma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.