Saturday, July 24, 2010

Not Perfect, But Really Really Good

We just got back from California (the kids and I; Jeremy spent the week at Summit Ministries' Adult Conference in Tenessee) where we visited my parents and sister. I looked forward to this trip so much before we left, and then I worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations. We have so many special things we like to do while we are there and I worry that we won't have time for them all. Now that the trip is over, I can say that we didn't have time for them all, but I am learning that there is never enough time for all the things I think of doing. And it's really okay! Really! Every afternoon, I would find myself thinking, "Oh no! The day is going by too fast! The kids aren't happy at This Exact Moment! The trip is not living up to my too-high-expectations!" and then the grouchies would work themselves out and we would have wonderful evenings full of pleasant surprises and spontaneous special-ness that I hadn't even thought of. So, I realized, that the trip wasn't perfect, but it was really really good.

Kendra thought it was a good idea for us to ride "The Seal" in San Diego. It wasn't perfect, but it was...good.



This is Captain Darryl and First Mate Tyler. First Mate Tyler had an uncanny knack for making the smallest tidbit of information REALLY DRAMATIC AND EXCITING. "Do you see that building with the ORANGE roof? And see the one next to it THAT IS WHITE? And then next to that IS A PIER?! Well, around that is A WALKWAY!" It was a little exhausting to listen to, but sounded a little like a certain 5-year-old who has been known to say things like, "Now I am taking a bite WITH MY FORK! Now I am taking a DRINK of WATER!" Maybe we have discovered a future career for him. I was hoping for sports announcer, but First Mate of "The Seal" is also very noble.

Being with these ladies is always really, really, really good.

One of the grouchy afternoons was after the seal ride...it was too cold for the beach (and there were big purple jellyfish washing up on shore) and the boys were hungry and the timing was all off for dinner and swimming at the hotel, but somehow...


...apples in the pool seemed to revive the spirits. Then we had take-out Italian food by the jacuzzi...
...and then Evan jumped into the pool without us watching and was rescued by a stranger.

See? Not perfect, but really really good (phew!).

The boys listening to "Taps" being played from the Naval Base (Kendra told them it was the Navy's goodnight music)

We went to Legoland the next day. I was suprised about how much there was to do there...and yet somehow, the ratio of 2 adults to 2 kids and a baby didn't work out super great and waiting in line for rides became a little tricky (I recommend having one adult per child if you plan to go there any time soon).
Things had gotten a little crazy before we found "Duplo Land." I had been THAT mother who ran out of positive incentives for good behavior while waiting in line for a ride and had resorted to ignoring my children and pretending I wasn't with them. Duplo Land had a playground and a little train. Here is Evan, proud to ride the train but trying not to show it:

Here's Sam, trying to decide if he's too cool for the train:
Annie loved it all with unabashed exuberance. Perfect!


Here's a boy left on his own with Legos:

Here's another boy, building with Legos:

And, if you aren't getting the theme, a third boy with his Lego creation:


Evan loved this fountain that played music and shot water whenever he stood on one of the circles:

Another moment that lived up to my expectations.


We ate at my favorite place in Carlsbad. Nearly perfect. So good!

Another evening, we ate dinner on the tailgate of my dad's truck so the boys could have as much time riding bikes as possible. My dad seemed a little sheepish every time a neighbor drove by and smiled or waved.
We wanted to celebrate Annie's birthday, but a busy day and a concert in the park forced us to improvise and eat animal crackers dipped in frosting dipped in sprinkles. Really really good. Not so much the animal crackers, but the whole moment.

Something I've really come to look forward to is my semi-annual reunion with some old girlfriends from high school youth group. Here we were then:





Here we are now...with 12.5 kids between us. Getting everyone to cooperate for a picture was a challenge:




Nearly perfect!

(This one's completely perfect:)

4 comments:

  1. OMG I was reading this beautiful post and all of a sudden, there I was, big bangs and all. What a fun picture! And to see everyone and their kids. Wish mine could have been there! And me too of course! It's been so long. It did look like a wonderful trip but I know it's hard traveling, and I know it is hard trying to fit everything in and keeping everyone happy, rested and on schedule. I always look forward to visiting CA but it's so stressful at the same time. Looks like you did well. That picture is hilarious. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of "comments" about this great post.... but I will sum it up by saying (1) you and Kendra look amazing! The little girls down the street have turned into beautiful women (2) I love the honesty in your blogs (3) I don't know how Barbara managed to keep up with you all (4) good to see you the night before you left. Sarah & kids were here on Friday and she/Mia walked down to "your house" but no one was home :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the great pictures! Glad you had fun with your family and friends - you look GREAT mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking I never asked again about your trip. I'm glad to hear it in a nutshell. Looks like it was a fun week. Feel free to share more anytime! Glad you're back! :) Christy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.