Monday, March 7, 2011

Something Very Exciting Happened

I got to do this a couple nights ago:



If you don't understand the picture, I realized I could put a teeny-tiny braid in Annie's hair! Now, I know this signals the start of 15+ years of battles over hairstyles and tears about bad haircuts and "Mom, you're hurting my head--comb softer!", but I think it was an exciting moment. It is in many ways one of the first truly unique aspects of having a girl. I mean, yes, she likes playing with dolls and pretending to do household chores, but my little boys would play kitchen and even push dolls around in the stroller. Dressing Annie in dresses and tights and shiny shoes is fun, but I thought dressing little boys in football shirts and cute little hiking boots was fun, too. But braiding hair...this is brand new! Despite the stresses of girls and their hair, there was a lot of female bonding done in front of mirrors in my house growing up, and I think it has been a theme with girls and their mothers throughout history. I remember my sister and I sitting on the stairs and french braiding each others' hair (and comparing the thicknesses of our braids, but that's another story) and I remember my mom rescuing me from hair disasters before a few formal dances. So I am glad for it to have begun!

Here's another picture to enjoy--it really sums up the 3 kids and their stages right now:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.