Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day of School: What I Want to Be When I Grow Up

It was the first day of school today and all the other moms were posting super cute pinteresty photos of their kids holding signs like this one that tell what the kid wants to be when they grow up: 

Photo stolen from my friend Misti's blog

I did not get around to making a cute sign.  Well, I didn't even try.  I'm not even sure I got all the required school supplies.  I set the bar low so that I don't disappoint anyone later.

Annie has Flat Stanley, who is visiting us from Seattle and I haven't forgotten to take pictures of him, does that count for some mom points?
 So, on the way to school, I asked Samuel what he wants to be when he grows up, because frankly, I don't really know (I mean, it's been a while since I've asked him).  I told him to think long and hard about his answer.

So if I had made a sign, it would have said:

 "First Day of School 2013
3rd Grade
When I grow up, I want to be...
A Taco Guy"

Good thing we're working hard on his education so that he'll have something to fall back on if making tacos at birthday parties doesn't work out.


Evan answered, "Baseball Player" right away and then when I told him to think about it some more and choose a career that was actually a possibility (like doctor, teacher, firefighter, engineer, or even selling tacos...we're all about reality around here), he said, "Well, I'd like to be an engineer."  When I asked him what an engineer does, he said, "Fixes things, makes engines, makes things work better."  Not too bad!  I guess he's been watching both of his grandpas, who are engineers.  (And it was only then that I realized for the first time in my life that the word "engineer" actually has the word "engine" in it.  Mind blown.).


But the best conversation on the way to school this morning was when Evan asked why the grass was wet on the playground. Jeremy told him that it was dew and asked him if he knew what dew was.  Evan got a little sheepish and quietly said, "Yes" (almost like a question, like, Dad are you seriously asking me this?).

"What is it?" Jeremy replied.

(very quiet voice, looking down) "It is when you sit on the toilet and stuff comes out of your bottom."

 Jeremy then set him straight on the differences between dew and doo.
The little sisters.
 Annie isn't too sad that the boys are gone.  She got to go swimsuit shopping with Grandma.


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to see how these buds blossom.

    Good job on the swimsuit Grandma!

    PaJ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.