Friday, September 13, 2013

The Anniversary of My 18th Birthday

 I am 36 today, and I can't help thinking about the fact that 18 years ago, I was 18.  And what better way to celebrate the anniversary of my 18th birthday?  To have some friends from high school over for a party because my parents are out of town...just like old times!  (Okay, I never did that)  (Okay, I never did that at my OWN house but may have participated at someone else's house)

When I was 18, I thought that Orange County was the center of the universe, and I guess, if I'm honest, that I was the sun at the center of that universe.  My goals in life were to have fun, please my parents, flirt with boys, get good grades, go to Disneyland and the beach as much as possible, go to college to become a special education teacher, and daydream about who I would marry, how I would meet him (in college, of course) and what our kids would be like someday.

Shortly after I turned 18, I visited Northern Arizona University, where I immediately fell in love with school and the idea of being off and on my own.  It was all so exciting and glamorous in my mind.  The rest of my 18th year was spent finishing high school, applying for scholarships, and having as much fun as possible with my friends.

Now I am 36, and this is my reality:


Just kidding, there are some more glamorous times mixed in (okay, maybe not glamorous, but at least grown up)

But life as a 36-year-old is just more full of this kind of stuff...
I always wanted to be on the stage...I just never knew I would have such a small audience :)
I get to be an event planner...but all my events involve sprinkles and pool noodles

I've mastered the art of the selfie--it is the only way to ever document that I exist (for the children's sake)


I still get to kiss a lot, but the kisses are a lot better than the 18-year-old kind.

I am definitely not 18 anymore...and I'm wishing the 18-year-old me had worn more sunscreen (and I'm not sure she would say about that hat).

I prefer soft lighting for my photos these days

Don't worry, it's okay...it's actually very rewarding!  It's too much pressure to be at the center of the universe, and I never really was anyway, I only just thought I was.

And actually, I am at the center of the universe...for 3 little munchkins who call me mommy.

I was going to compile a list of 36 interesting facts you didn't know about me, but now I have run out of time and have to get ready for my party.  So I will leave you with one interesting fact:  I love to make slideshows set to music.  They are not hi-tech and will not go viral, but they make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  So here is my gift to myself and to you...a 1 minute video of me in my happy place with 3 of the best people that have happened in this world because I grew up.

4 comments:

  1. Kaci- it's been YEARS. You are clearly as neat as you always were when I knew you... back then. ;)

    Loved reading about your life now... Happy Birthday! I truly adored your little one minute video. It looks like you are all having the time of your life! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Friend! You put things so well. And you are truly amazing. The past 18 years for you have affected so many people in amazing (and often eternal) ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun...though, me being 38, I really didn't like to be be reminded that 18 + 18 is only 36. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through motherhood....God is faithful to remove self from the throne of our heart and teach us unconditional love for others. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.