Friday, October 10, 2014

Here's to Hopefully More Than Just Wishful Thinking

It's October 10th!  The perfect day for...you guessed it!  New Year's resolutions, of course!  But I need to think of another name since I don't believe it is a new year according to any known calendar on this day.  There have just been some things pinging around in my head and I am resolved to write them down and commit to them on this very day.

Resolution #1:  Read more.  I am a person who loves books and hardly reads, it seems.  I mean, for the past 9 years I've been plagued with Small-Children-in-the-Home-All-the-Time Syndrome (it's a real thing...symptoms include dirty hair, aversion to fingerprint smudges, turning in circles in the kitchen all day due to constant food requests, Shower Rage (when you go for a quick minute and someone is still yelling from right outside the door--it's another real thing), emotional vomit onto husband the minute he walks through the door, and lack of time for reading or completing a single thought.  Are you familiar with it?)  I have some time to myself now...I pick Annie up from kindergarten at 11:10 so it goes fast, but I have it and it is precious.  And it makes me feel guilty, too, which is kind of strange because haven't I earned it?  Anyway, I just finished reading this gem:

Loved it.  Loved it loved it loved it.  I actually read it outloud to Jeremy on a car ride like we used to do when we were first married.  Aw!  Now I am reading this:

I'll let you know if I love it and if it is logical when I am done. (Ba-doom-crash)  

Resolution #2:  To stop spending little amounts of money here and there.  It adds up.  From now until thanksgiving, I am just going to say no to unnecessary spending.  We have enough, we have more than enough. The only dilemma is that I need a new pair of shoes because some of my old faves broke down on me recently...so I'll have to figure that one out.  Also, I hardly fit in any clothes I own right now, so I feel like I should go get something so I am not such a slob...but instead I need to be resolved and resolute to complete resolution #3.  (see below)

Resolution #3:  Losing weight (sad trombone).  I love to bake, I love to eat, this is a hard area for me but really, I need to wear the clothes I own instead of getting new ones.  It's not a horrible situation, but it needs work.  I thought of posting a before picture, but really, I just want to get down to business and get it done without a lot of fuss.  On a fun note, though, I am feeling inspired by my sister.  Last year, she swam from one Hawaiian island to another (epic), and I had this little feeble voice inside of me that was like, "I should do something epic, too."  I was like "5ks and 10ks are so trendy, I am going to do something more interesting."  
So, guys, guess what I came up with? (drumroll) A pull up.  Or a chin up.  I don't really know the difference.  I just know that I want to be able to do one.  One!  Don't you love how epic that sounds! (not)  But I think it is seriously a good goal for me because it means I need to drop some pounds (duh) and gain some muscle...and I don't know if I've ever been able to do one.  I "practice" at the park near my house and it just looks like I'm hanging there being constipated and I'm sure people passing by are like "that poor sad woman" but I don't care (most days) (actually, I've only gone 3 days so I can hardly be even saying this like it's a real thing at this point).  So here I plant my stake in the ground and ask me in like 6 months if I've gotten my chin near that bar and I'll let you know.

Resolution #4:  Memorizing Bible verses.  Best thing I've ever done and I sadly hardly ever do it.  

Resolution #5:  Finally ever being consistent with routines, chores, and allowance with the kids.  I am resolving to be realistic and not expect massive change in this area of weakness for myself and them, but I am going to take some baby steps.  I'll let you know how that goes, too.

I had something else but now I can't remember so I guess I'm off the hook on that one.  Phew!

And I still haven't thought of a name for my resolutions.  It is starting to feel a little fall-y around here, and I was thinking about putting up some fall decor today, so maybe I'll call them my Fall Resolutions.  There, it's done.  Bye!











2 comments:

  1. Love your transparency. As for Love and Logic, I was required to take the class and then forced to teach the concepts to my clients at work. Disagreed on many levels. I am curious to see what you think of it. PS ~ I can't remember most of it. Blocked it out I guess. Hugs, Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Shower Rage, too! And I'm a huge fan of Love & Logic- used it in my classroom & use it alllllll...lllllll....lllll the time here in this house full of nutso boys. xoxo to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.