Friday, April 24, 2009

A Week of Motherhood


I don't have anything special to write about, but felt like I should post something so that the 2 people that read my blog won't give up on me. I posted this picture of Sam and his friends Sara and Eden to show that he has definitely learned the value of chocolate. We were invited to a grown-up friend's birthday party last week and I kind of felt bad that the kids got all the cake and ice cream...I don't even know if the birthday girl got any!

I went to our church's women's retreat this weekend in Prescott and had a really good time...I am blessed with the friends I have at FCF! I didn't take any pictures, I guess I was too busy talking all the time. Jeremy's parents came up to Flagstaff to help take care of the boys because Jeremy is finishing all of his crazy seminary homework. This week, I wanted to relax and not have any pressures since things had been so busy the last few weeks, but instead of relaxing and feeling no pressure, I feel a little sleep deprived and overwhelmed by the task of mothering these little energy balls and trying to keep the house in a liveable state. I took the boys to the Aquaplex on Tues. and Evan had to be rescued twice...and later I realized that I was more worried about what all the other moms thought of me than I was about the fact that Evan could have drowned. I also thought it was funny that I yelled at Sam to rescue Evan instead of one of the lifeguards. I wonder if he would have done it? The lifeguard jumped in and got him and he wasn't too upset. The rest of the week has just been trying to cook dinner while little boys are spilling bubble juice on the floor (and Evan is drinking it--I've already had to call poison control 3 times for that boy! And this time wasn't one of them--I figured the worst that could happen was that he might burp bubbles later, that would have been funny). I made 2 batches of cookies this week--AFTER my glucose test for gestational diabetes, of course. I think I thought cookies would help me cope (or give me something to bribe with). The highlight of the week was going out to some of my favorite stores and returning things...I got paid to go shopping! No, actually, the highlight was probably wrestling on the bed with the whole family last night--windows open, enjoying the nice late afternoon breeze--or catching bugs in the backyard with Sam...he was so excited about the fuzzy black caterpillar that he found--he took it to church to show his friends. And, he even was willing to let it go at the end of the day...though I am convinced the poor thing crawled under a rock and died of shock, but don't tell Sam. So, I guess it was a week of what real life is made of...though the words, "Why am I having another one?" DID come out of my mouth to a total stranger at the doctor's office (after Evan cried at the top of his lungs for 15 minutes and then finally got quiet, but then proceeded to hit his head on the doorway and start up again...so much fun!). I think I'm going to go eat some more cookies now, and let Sam watch 3-2-1 Penguins for the 15th time in the last 2 days.

5 comments:

  1. You have a gift with words, Kaci! As one of the "2 people" who follow your blog ;), I'm glad that you do it, as I find myself nodding and smiling & laughing all through your post. The eating strange things (for us most recently it was a half tube of toddler toothpaste), the crying at the dr's office (although he did fine with the shots, and only cried when I nailed him in the head with a baby carrier), the eating of cookies to console myself....it's all so familiar! So keep up the good work with those boys, and by all means keep sharing with us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such is life with kids huh? I ask myself too sometimes, and we are having another one, and we just have one right now. It's so fun to read stuff like this from other mothers though. Like we are all in this rocky but amazing boat together. I love reading your blog and getting to know you all over again. You are as beautiful and wonderful as you were back in HS, even more as a mother and wife. Good luck this week. I will be thinking of you. AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey look - 3 people read your blog now! i said the same thing while pregnant with bodie...and now i am i so in love - i pray God decides to give you a mellow girl after your darling spirited Evan!

    also i think i chanted the mantra "God doesn't give us more than we can handle" approximately 5,675 times while pregnant as well...hope it helps!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally pushing your number to four! Wow, that was quite a paragraph full, better give your fingers a break. Fun stuff, have another great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I am one of the grandparents whom this blog is for I say - I love these blogs and read every word, frequently more than once and enjoy each picture. Keep them coming. Gamma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.