Monday, May 14, 2012

The Best Mother's Day Yet

I used to get really mad on Mother's Day.

I imagined that it would be like this:

But it really was more like this:


Actually, all I ever wanted was to sleep in and have a little assistance with the kid(s).

*Nobody* seemed to understand that.  (ah-hem)

And going out to lunch after church with everyone else and their screaming children doesn't ever seem appealing or worth the money spent (that I would have rather used to buy myself some earrings or a coffee in peace and quiet), and going out for breakfast=me having to get the kids and myself ready even earlier than usual which is a difficult and stressful task considering we're late to church or school most mornings anyway.

So this year, I decided to rethink Mother's Day.  That meant dropping expectations (or maybe, more importantly, talking about them with Jeremy...because it really would be a lie to say I had no expectations).   So I told myself and him that I didn't want a present, that I would fix a special meal for us (because honestly, I LIKE cooking when I have a good attitude about it instead of being resentful or feeling like a victim), and that I wanted to do something that the kids like doing because really, that makes me happier than fighting circumstances to get what I think I want for myself.

So I did lots of normal things like cooking and cleaning and dressing children and being late for church.  In the afternoon, we went to Red Mountain for a hike as a family.  And when I realized I had forgotten the cookies I had promised to bring as mid-hike bribery sustenance, I said a little prayer that everyone could have a good attitude and that we could make it to the mountain that seemed much further away than 1.3 miles.


And guess what? Nobody cried or fussed (much) and we made it all the way there and back and had a wonderful time!
We could have stayed and played for hours, except that it was getting late and I was worried about mountain lions eating the good little children.
Jeremy was sweet and took a picture of me with the kids...and I decided to post it even though it shows the extra pounds I have been trying to thinking about losing. It's all about letting go of expectations, people.
Somehow during the taking of this picture, the tree attacked us with globs of sticky sap.
I will have to hose off 5 pairs of unrecognizable tennis shoes because of the red dust that is covering them, and the laundry situation will be challenging with the clay dirt and sap mixed together...

...but I couldn't have had a better day.
And there was a $20 Starbucks gift card (with free babysitting included) waiting for me at home.

I think we're all starting to catch on.





6 comments:

  1. ha! love this...i gave up mothers day expectations like year 2...i told bryan that all i ever want on mothers day is to sleep in...with ear plugs...and then whatever happens happens...and so because he only has one task - it usually works out! also...i buy myself a mothers day gift every year - its so much better than flowers! also - dont you think its funny that for mothers day we just want to spend a nice day with our children and husband and for fathers day they just want to leave...golf...etc...whats up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. zig when the world is zagging. nice work. at our house we basically ignore all holidays.

    red mountain can be a great hike on a nice day, torture when it gets really hot out.

    your blog continues to be fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have learned to tell Caleb my expections, not making them too high. I told him I just wanted to not have to cook anything that day (I did have to remind him what day it was). And it went off well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! This post is why I LOVE reading your blog.

    Meanwhile . . . I think you should rethink kid Christmas presents (because I am rethinking it and am not very creative about it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie looks sooooooooo much like you in the last picture

    ReplyDelete
  6. kaci i just found your blog through mops. i love your honesty and your attitude! and i'm so glad the hike was a success! we hiked red mountain last summer and forgot snacks and the trail seemed double-y long and we had two mega-fussers/screamers the entire way. i don't think i'll ever be able to go back there again! happy mama's day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.