Thursday, May 3, 2012

Evan the T-Ball Player (A Picture Story)

(Forgive me if I don't seem very exuberant about the sport of T-Ball. I am a soccer and swimming girl. I think baseball is a little boring. But I think Evan is cute and I cheer for him. I'm just thankful Jeremy is doing all the practice with him because in addition to thinking it's a little boring, I am afraid of being hit by a careless boy with a bat or that hard little white ball.)
Backyard practice wearing his uniform that in no way looks like it is supposed to (I am told that the uniforms were made poorly and that his team is supposed to be black and grey.  They did get new hats later).
But he IS cute, and he is #1!
First up to bat!  I know, it is surprising that a 4-year-old can run with that hat on, but he can!
How long will he unabashedly wave to me from the dugout?  I love it.
He actually hits better if the ball is pitched to him.  (I don't envy Coach Jose's job of having to be so near to a kid swinging a bat.  I think HE should be wearing a helmet, too.)
Run Evan!  Run!
Good form, leading off first base.  Not sure he exactly understands what is happening, but he plays the part very well.
Starting to lose a little focus...
Now making shapes with his fingers.  And where are all the outfielders?
Digging in the dirt, all focus gone for the moment...
But he makes it to home plate!  (It's not very competitive, folks.)
More of the Lundgren trademark nose-picking.  We'll work on that.  One of these days.
Did I mention that he is cute?
The cheering section.  Fighting boredom with snacks.  And a little sunbathing.
Hey, a sit-and-sit stroller...I should invent that.  Looks like my kids just did.
Outfield.  Oh, outfield.  I remember playing outfield when I was a kid in P.E.  I hated it for how boring and unsocial it was, but I also liked it because it was away from the action and the chance of me missing a catch or getting hit with that hard ball were minimized.  And I could make clover-flower-chain necklaces for all my friends.  But this isn't about me, it's about Evan.  Let's see how he does...
Talking to imaginary friends.  (Like Sam the Soccer Player, if you recall.)
More nose picking.  My kids never took pacifiers or had blankies.  They just had their noses for comfort.  Seriously!
A moment of focus and game-facing...
...and then on to dirt-playing.
More dirt-playing.
(Maybe we could stick a Hot Wheels in his pocket to play with in the dirt next time.)
Face-making.  And I didn't even get a picture of when he was laying on his stomach on the baseline...for quite a few moments before he was gently encouraged to get up by the Coach.  I would have encouraged him in a much sterner louder voice but I feel like the only parent yelling anything, so I bit my tongue.
Time for the post-game pep-talk by Coach Jimmy, where, even though they aren't allowed to keep score, he tells them they beat the other team by 112 to 2 or something fun like that.  I like Coach Jimmy.  And Coach Jose.
On to high-fives and good games for the other team and then snack, where Evan always declares "This is my luckiest day EVER!" because apparently, I buy really boring snacks compared to what he gets at T-Ball.
(I think it might be his favorite part of T-Ball.  And practicing with Coach Daddy.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm not exuberant about any sport. I don't know what I will do with my kids if they are sports players. I guess get excited that they are having fun. Fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post Kaci! I'm not much into sports either but it does get more exciting as they get bigger and older then it gets intense and you can't help but be on the edge of your seat and you begin to understand the game and how much your kid enjoys playing and then you begin to be their biggest fan...and then there are times that you think you should be the ref because you didn't agree with their call or you sit and wait and look out in the field but don't see your kid and wonder when will they put him in....so ladies I'm here to tell you that it gets better and the photo ops continue to get better and better too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.