Monday, July 13, 2009

Black Widow Spider Sandwiches

Getting ready for the baby has been making me notice how...MALE my other two children are. They just want to play guns, make sound effects, ride bikes, wipe snot on the couch, and one-up each other with how far they can jump off the bunk beds. And in reference to the blog title, Samuel got Evan to eat his sandwich last night by calling it a black widow spider sandwich. Other days their sandwiches are rocket ships or sailing boats.

They have been getting into all the baby's stuff that we got down from the attic...here is a picture of them playing with one toy: It is their tunnel or house to hide from bad guys. They also like to pretend the bouncy seat is a race car and they giggle at each other when they sit in the baby bathtub with their legs hanging out. They are in for a rude awakening when this baby comes and claims her territory.

We had a little hospital stay this week for Evan's croup. He was a sick little guy. I wish I had had my camera to take a picture of the humidified tent he had to sleep in--he was Bubble Boy! I can't believe how many hours I held him on my lap while waiting for doctors or food trays or to be released...God helped me not to be too uncomfortable, I think! Though I did think we could just kill two birds with one stone and just have the baby there while we were at it. Being at the hospital reminded me a lot of some of the frustrations I have had when giving birth to the 2 boys...everybody coming in and saying something different and not seeming to communicate with each other, the bad timing of the "shift change" when it seems like you are forgotten for 2 hours and then new people come in who don't seem to have been told what's already happening, etc. Jeremy and I decided that that there should just be big rules posted on the walls and red lines painted on the floor where you are not supposed to go--that way everything would be clear. Instead, I feel like they try to act like a full-service hotel and offer to do everything, and then breathe through their noses and act exasperated when you try to do something for yourself because you feel forgotten. Like, "Okay, you can go home now!" and then, "No no! You can't walk to your car, you have to wait for a wheelchair--we'll HELP you out" and then you have to wait for another hour for this HELP that you don't need. And are we allowed to get juice boxes out of the fridge for ourselves, or are they just there to tantalize us but remain beyond our reach...I'm just not sure. But I am the paying customer! Anyways, even in the midst of Evan's sickness, he asked me with his raspy little voice over and over to watch "bad guys" on t.v. I couldn't convince him to watch HGTV or cooking.

I had another baby shower on Thurs. with church ladies and felt very blessed. Here is a picture of the sign my talented friend, Sarah, made:
I felt silly slamming on my brakes and reversing and then lugging my pregnant self out of the car just to take a picture of it, but it was so cute! And, I like the sign behind it advertising the horse property that our church owns and desperately needs to sell...it helps place the picture in this time of our lives. Anyone in the market for a 14 acre horse property, by the way?
This is a picture of me in the baby's room--I was getting worried that I would suddenly have the baby and have no real picture of me pregnant, so I had Sam take one...I think he did pretty good! My friend Mariah came over on Friday night and we watched "The Business of Being Born" to get prepared for her to help me during the baby's birth. It was eye-opening for us, and I recommend it...but probably only to my female friends (if you know what I mean) who are of child-bearing years. Those who don't fit that category would probably think "TMI!!!" in parts of it.

Well, seeing as I woke up at 2:45 am this morning in a panic that I wouldn't get everything done that I need to before the baby is born, I probably should go get to work. I went out to get some things for the baby yesterday, but came home with ice cream, hair dye, and Nerf gun darts...signs that life goes on even when you are awaiting a big life-changing event. Now I get to clean up little suction cup marks off of all the mirrors and windows because Jeremy likes to lick the ends of the darts to make them really stick. BOYS!!! I got the hair highlight kit because I want to put a pink streak in my hair (so I need to lighten it, first) in honor of the baby girl. I got Crystal Light to do the pink (my sister and I did it in high school and it really worked!). I felt silly standing in front of the Crystal Light display for a long time trying to decide what "flavor" I wanted to dye my hair--it had to be a good color pink, but also a flavor that I would drink, since I had to buy a whole package of it. I chose Raspberry Lemonade. Besides dyeing my hair, I need to clean this house...so I better get to work!
.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Due to lots of spam comments, your comment will be moderated before it is published.